Re: aes-pipe -p function.

hyplex wrote:
> I was using a dos formated key file and a unix format key file in a
> command such as '...|aes-pipe -p 3 3<keys >foobar.out', and to my
> surprise they produced different results(foobar.out).  I expected them
> to only work on the ascii representation of the keys, and to convert
> them into the actual binary key.  Upon looking at the code though
> (hopefully I just overlooked something) it doesn't do such a conversion
> and it checks the keys file for '\n' or \0 to end a key line.  So...

There is nothing wrong with having control characters in passphrases that
get hashed to generate keys. CONTROL-m character (CR) is one such special
character. If you don't want CR characters included as hash input, then
don't use key files containing such characters.

Microsoft's CR-LF pair as newline character is just plain silly, and causes
problems with having to deal with text/binary modes of opening files. Unix
and Linux don't have such sillyness.

> If this is the case, you can either 1) continue to use the ascii
> representation anyway, but then each byte of your key is limited to the
> ascii representation of 0-f.

There is no 0-f limitation per byte. '\n' or \0 terminated string gets
hashed to generated a key.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-