Re: root-crypto with loop-aes on debian-testing, 2.6.15-1-686--success, but....

reverend@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I deleted something more from the working and selfcompiled kernel and
> name it uname -r-crypto-b and so I did with the initrd.img, the .config and the
> directory in /boot/modules, but it do not work anymore.

So boot the old semi-working kernel. As long as the `uname -r` is different
for each kernel, you can can have many bootable kernels available. All
kernel version specific modules are stored in different directories, and
kernel version specific files in /boot at least have kernel version in the
file name.

> Is this so fragile that this can happen anytime or a mistake from me ?

To successfully use loop-AES, you need to be able to configure, compile and
install kernels that work on your computers. This is not difficult but it is
a requirement.

May I suggest the you try configuring, compiling, and installing a kernel
few times in normal unencrypted root setup first. And I mean setups where
those kernels boot without any initrd help. Many distros use kernel
configurations that use initrds filled with drivers for about all supported
hardware. Most of the work is figuring out what drivers your hardware needs
and disabling all the other drivers. Once you have such "optimized" working
kernel configuration, you can use that kernel configuration as starting
point for other kernel compiles.

> I am allways ending in busybox after:
>
> (no PW-prompt)
> mount: Mounting /dev/hda3 on /root failed: No such device

Again, this looks like misconfigured bootloader. It loads wrong initrd.
Another possibility is that you booted wrong kernel.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-