Re: root-crypto with loop-aes on debian-testing, 2.6.15-1-686--via crypto-api ?

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 04:44:58PM +0300, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> My advise is to make a backup of the file system before conversion. If
> 'dd' process doing the conversion is interrupted for any reason, then you
> end up with file system partially encrypted using new crypto and rest
> encrypted with old crypto, which means that it is rendered unreadable/
> unfixable.

if dd was able to write it's status:

 a+b records in
 c+d records out
 e bytes transferred in f seconds (g bytes/sec)

(where a, b, c, d, e are non-negative integers and f, g are floats) one can
use dd's seek= and skip= options. (Read the man page!) Also, a SIGUSR1 could
be sent to dd every second or so and then the values of the last output
could be used. Of course some sectors will be total rubbish then, but maybe
some data can be restored, iff the fs isn't corrupted too much after that.

Making backups is the best option, though. :)

Greetings,
 Mike Dornberger

-