Re: Getting real slow performance

> I suspect that it is failing hard disk that has to do many read attempts to
> get data off disk platters.
>
> > Hardware:
> > PII 450 MHz
> > 96mb ram
> > linux 2.6.12
>
> Pentium-2 is old. Is your hard disk also that old?
>
> > aes loop (cant find installed version number)
>
> losetup program appears to be from loop-AES-v3. Your loop device is using v2
> on-disk format, so kernel driver can be from loop-AES-v2 or v3. This
> information is based on your "losetup /dev/loop3" command output.
>
> > Sorry if this mail just shows the obvious and expected behaviour. But my
> > mind cant find a good explanation for these slowdowns. Are there any ways
> > to examine the queues to see what is taking so long?
>
> Are there any kernel error messages?
>
> # dmesg
>
> Are there any problems in hard disk SMART data?
>
> # smartctl -a /dev/hda
>
> --
> Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

I have suspected that the drive might be dying, though I dont see any other symptoms, no noise, no syslog messages, no smart logged and no kernel messages. Well the drive has always been a little funny with smart, always logged lots of
(  1)Raw Read Error Rate     0x000f   057   046   006       38919422
(195)Hardware ECC Recovered  0x001a   057   046   000       38919422
since I bought it. But it has never posed any trouble.(I kinda always written it off as old controller not always good with new harddrive, but this might be wrong, but it made me sleep at night :) )
Its a 200gb seagate harddrive Model Number: ST3200822A, and its not as old as the computer.

I can speed up filea by making a copy of it(and get less fragmentation).

I assume the 100% utilization is from the loop device doing something(probably en/decrypting) is this wrongly assumed? iostat state that at 100% utilization big saturation may occur and I guess its that I see here?

from man iostat
"%util Percentage of CPU time during which I/O requests were issued  to  the  device (bandwidth  utilization  for  the device). Device saturation occurs when this value is close to 100%."

Best regards
Kim