Re: Getting real slow performance

Kim C wrote:
> I have been using aes loop for quite some time now, and it has been
> working fine until now. Today I seem to get much degraded performance on
> certain files. I am not sure what is causing this (or if it is even aes
> loop that causing it), so any pointers of what to do to further
> invistigate would be nice.

I suspect that it is failing hard disk that has to do many read attempts to
get data off disk platters.

> Hardware:
> PII 450 MHz
> 96mb ram
> linux 2.6.12

Pentium-2 is old. Is your hard disk also that old?

> aes loop (cant find installed version number)

losetup program appears to be from loop-AES-v3. Your loop device is using v2
on-disk format, so kernel driver can be from loop-AES-v2 or v3. This
information is based on your "losetup /dev/loop3" command output.

> Sorry if this mail just shows the obvious and expected behaviour. But my
> mind cant find a good explanation for these slowdowns. Are there any ways
> to examine the queues to see what is taking so long?

Are there any kernel error messages?

# dmesg

Are there any problems in hard disk SMART data?

# smartctl -a /dev/hda

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-