Re: Using many (say 20) active loop-devices?

* Markus Laire <malaire@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it trivial to use, say 20 (or more), loop-devices at the same time?

AFAIK, there's _somewhere_ a variable/constant/definition which can
be set to the # of loop-devices you need. Someone more tuned to the
code may help out here, old age got me on that one...

> Would this need a significant amount of memory/CPU/other resources?

Setting them all up, no. Using them all at once will certainly
stress your sytem. OTOH, that's also true for other block devices.

Right now I'm pretty much at the max default limit of 8 loop devices
and using them (not all at once - simply not needed) doesn't have an
impact of system stability. Consider it comparable to mounting
several nfs fs and using them when needed.

> For now I'm only thinking of using these unencrypted, for mounting
> several CD ISOs at once.

Well then there should not be a problem.

> ps. Is this the right place to ask about losetup (included in
> loop-aes-utils) when I'm using it without encryption?

If you use loop-aes on your system (one way or the other), I think
yes it is.

Anyway, as the saying goes: use the source, luke ;-)

--
left blank, right bald