Re: LoopAES for MacOS

I am also a Mac user after years of hard-core Linux use. I still use a loop-aes Linux server as a backup/rsync server for the Macintosh desktop clients.

Loop-AES is a module which is intimately tied to the Linux block loopback driver. At the moment, no loop-aes port is available on Mac OS X.

However, the aespipe compiles and runs fine on Mac OS X, and I have used this tool to move data from loop-aes volumes to large (unencrypted) files that I can mount on the Macintosh (provided the encrypted volume used a file system that the Mac can use, hfsplus or vfat).

The Macintosh OS offers a loopback-block-device driver with AES encryption which is very similar in implementation to LUKS-with-dm- crypt on Linux.

You may use GPG-encrypted key in conjunction with hdiutil encrypted volumes to implement multi-factor authentication for your encrypted disk images: # gpg --homedir /Volumes/some-usb-key/gpghome -d /Volumes/some-other- volume/diskKey.gpg | hdiutil attach encrypted-disk.dmg -encryption - stdinpass

Unfortunately, the source code for hdiutil encrypted volumes in not published by Apple (I think), and therefore has not been evaluated. It likely has problems with watermarking attacks - if not worse - that only loop-aes seems to address effectively.

It would be possible to port some of loop-aes to the Mac, I think, but it would need to work within the IOKit framework. Does anyone want to help me with this?

Regards,

- boyd
Boyd Waters
Socorro, New Mexico