Re: Debian on loop-AES on RAID5

On 01/28/2006 09:19 AM, Leo Bogert wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I just built a 600 GB (3x 300GB RAID5) Fileserver which I want to be
| full-disk-encrypted with Debian and loop-AES. (This already shows you that I
| like loop-AES very much ;)
|
| Unfortunately, it's been two or three years since I last set up a
| full-disk-encrypted box with loop-AES. Back then I was using Slackware. As
| far as I remember, I booted an already present linux system with the
| destination disk attachted, created the partitions on the destination disk,
| encrypted them and then used the ability of the Slackware setup to install
| slackware from within a running linux environment.
| Thus, the installation was directly written encrypted to disk, and after
| installing I just had to fix up the boot partition to support loop-AES with
| a custom kernel.
|
| Now, as far as I know, Debian does not support being installed from within a
| running linux.
| Plus, the fact that I want RAID5 _and_ loop-AES makes it more complicated.
| My question to you is: Can anyone hint me out on some Website which explains
| an approach for doing this easily?
|
| What I want is:
| - NO unencrypted data being written to the disk-array, that would not be
| clean enough :) I.e. I dont want to install debian first and encrypt after
| installing.
| - If I'm right it would be better to do AES on RAID5 instead of RAID5 on
| three loop-AES devices.
|

| Thanks for your help, Leo

You need a minimially installed Debian root fs. The user-mode-linux.sf.net
site has some, for example, but I usually have a custom tgz for the hardware
on a remote server.

Then boot Knoppix 3.9 (see knoppix.net) or better, setup raid first with
mdadm, then create your loop-AES devices, create filesystem on top of loop-AES
device, then unpack the tgz root fs with something like

cd /mnt
ssh me@remote "cat /path/to/debian-root.tgz" | tar xvzpf -

Then you can chroot to the debian root

chroot .

Then fix up /etc/fstab, kernel + loop-aes, install grub... and you are done.

Sorry this is brief, but there you are.

Cheers,

- ---Venkat.

- --