Re: loop-AES with ReiserFS for file-backed loop?

> Anon wrote:

> >>the loop-AES.README also states:
> >>
> >>    1. Loop device primer
> >>    [...]
> >>    File backed loops may deadlock under some kernel + file system
> >>    combinations.
> >>    So, if you can choose between device backed and file backed, choose
> >>    device backed even if it means that you have to re-partition your
> >>    disks.
> >
> > I *am* planning on using a device-backed loop.
> >

> >>so, file backed loops SHOULD be avoided, no matter if encrypted or not,
> >>with journaling fs on it or without. yes, it's possible and you SHOULD
> >>try it to see if it works for you. but in "most cases" file backed loops
> >>are behaving better.
> >
> > I assume you really meant device-backed loops in the last sentance above.
> >
> > My interest in using a file-backed loop is so that I can have a loop-AES device-backed loop
> > containing a loop-AES file-backed loop, for two (or more) layers of encryption.
> >
> > I have the impression from the loop-AES.README file a non-journalling file system can be used
in a
> > file-backed loop.  It is my understanding from the ReiserFS documentation that using the
"nolog"
> > option during mounting would satisfy the non-journalling criteria, as this option disables
> > journalling.
>
> For that scenario you only 'need' a filesystem for the last layer.
>
> You pack an encryption layer onto the partion/device.
> "losetup" it and losetup the next layer directly onto the newly created
> /dev/loop<x> device.
>
> That way you only stack block-devices and pack a filesystem on the last one.
>
> For a (say) 4 layer encryption you would stack;
>
> HDD -> Partition
> -> Loop 1 -> Loop 2 -> Loop 3 -> Loop 4
> -> Filesystem
>
> e.g.
> sdb -> sdb1 -> loop0 -> loop1 -> loop2 -> loop3 -> <whatever>
>
> If you want you can also pack the encryption keys before each layer
> using the "offset"-options to leave the needed space for the keys and
> shrink the block-device of each layer by a little bit.
>
> That way you had to actually break each encryption layer to even get the
> needed keys for the next. (Of course the key-sets are also encrypted
> with by gpg or whatever else layer you may think of)
Thank you for the suggestion.  I just read a similar suggestion for Jari, though I need a more
detailed example to actually implement the suggestion (as in an example fstab and command line
that properly sets up the stack of loops).  I never stacked loops before, and do not yet seem to
understand how I would stack loops.

While your suggestion with the keys residing in each layer may be convenient, I think it
needlessly reduces the security to Level 2 as stated in the loop-AES.README.  It would be just as
convenient and easy to store the keys external to the encrypted partion/loops.

Anon

-