Re: uuencoded key file questions

Anon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This question is for Jari.
>
> In the loop-AES.README file, in section 7.2. Example 2 is the following instruction that makes a
> uuencoded key file that gets piped through gpg (on the second line of this command):
> head -c 2925 /dev/random | uuencode -m - | head -n 66 | tail -n 65
>
> This key file has 45 bytes of uuencoded random data per line.  How does loop-AES use the data on
> each line?:
> 1) does loop-AES use the data as read from the key file, thereby limiting AES disk keys to only
> printable characters instead of the full possible values from 0 to 255 per byte, or
> 2) does loop-AES uudecode the data thereby using the original, raw randomly generated data, or
> 3) some other way (please describe)

3)
The "keys" are not used directly. In normal setups they are hashed into a
binary-value as needed for the used cipher before use.
e.g. 128bits for AES128.

As you correctly say below the "entropy" of the 45*8=360 bits isn't reduced
by representing them as base64-coded data.
The hashed-value is different because of the "fill"-bits, but the strength
of the algorithm stays the same.

-