Re: [OT] Interference by multiple encryption.

Phil H schrieb:
I once read a usenet thread discussing this issue - Bruce
> Schneider posted and said that multiple encryption with
> the same algorithm could actually weaken the encryption
> if there was a defect in that algorithm.  He gave
> an explanation which I can't recall.

well, at least in "Applied Cryptography" he's saying that double/multiple encryption is a way to *increase* security:

http://friedo.szm.sk/krypto/AC/ch15/15-01.html

so, i if a message is encrypted with different algorithms, each one has to be broken (a "defect" has to be found).

if it's encrypted with the same algo and a defect is found, i'd say encryption was not weakened by the (double-) encryption but only the level of "feeling secure, because i double encrypted" has fallen more rapidly as expected.

*if* multiple encryption would actually weaken an algotithm, then we'd have found new attacks...

> You can probably find this thread on google groups if you search for
> Bruce Schneider's posts - perhaps post a link if you can find it.

Schneier says "it's fine" ;-)
-> 380cb79d.5790473@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Use multiple encryption wherever you want: AES + whatever other
algorithms you choose.  But please let AES be one algorithm."

--
BOFH excuse #361:

Communist revolutionaries taking over the server room and demanding all the computers in the building or they shoot the sysadmin. Poor misguided fools.

-