From: "Marvin Lyndon" <marvin.lyndon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: linux-crypto@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: computer hangs booting kernel
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:04:13 -0400

Hello everyone,

I finally got a few hours to setup a loop-AES encrypted root partition on my machine. I religiously followed the readme and on the second attempt it worked: I successfully booted from a usb-drive into the encrypted root partition.

However, something obviously went wrong when I subsequently recompiled the kernel to add a driver I had forgotten to include the first time I built it. It is the same kernel version for which I had built the loop-aes module (2.4.31), but I nonetheless rebuilt the module, too. I moved the new kernel image and System.map files into /boot, copied the module from /lib/modules/2.4.31/block/loop.o into /boot/modules-2.4.31/loop.o and again copied all files from /boot to the usb key. Then I reran syslinux /dev/sda and sync'ed.

However, ever since I did this my computer hangs when booting from the key:

SYSLINUX 2.11 ...
Ready.
Uncompressing Linux... Ok,  booting the kernel.

And it hangs there (in fact, the cursor is still blinking, so I don't know if it is technically speaking "hanged"). Using a knoppix cd and the rootkey.gpg on my usb key I can successfully mount the encrypted root partition and use my system "as usual", so I know that the problem resides in the contents of the usb key.

Could anyone please give me some guidance on what to check given that it hangs at the "Ok, booting the kernel" stage? My kernel config still matches the requirements on the readme. What might be going wrong?

In the meantime I completely rebuilt the usb-key (erased all its contents except for the rootkey.gpg file, reran the build-initrd.sh script) and the problem persists.

Thanks so much for any help,

Marvin

-

-