Re: Two keys for the same encrypted file

* kinto <kintho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alle 22:09, lunedì 10 ottobre 2005, markus reichelt ha scritto:
> > Regarding the use of /dev/urandom in crypto operations, please
> > have a look at the thread at
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gnupg-users&m=112873347315783&w=2
> > and especially at the last paragraph of my message.
>
> I've read that message.
> Intersting but my question is about the concept, not specifically
> urandom as source of entropy.

Regarding /dev/urandom as a source of entropy the way it is set up in
most linux distribution is a good joke :-) That's all I wanted to
point out. However, if it's used to wipe a HDD, fine with me cos that
has not much todo with crypto stuff. And Jari basically agreed, IIRC.

> > Don't forget to check your system's init scripts for the
> > initialization of /dev/urandom
> Urandom debian script seem like slackware script. What is the solution?
> Sholud we use /dev/random instead of /dev/urandom?

Like Tobias already said, it depends on how /dev/random is set up, if
it is at all. On some systems there's even /dev/hwrandom, which I
would prefer were it present on all my systems. I believe some VIA
systems have that ability; I operate a Nehemiah System on a patched
2.6.7 kernel which only has /dev/urandom /dev/random & /hwtrap
(whatever that's for). What this boils down to is crypto scripts -
one has to be aware of obvious snares. If one writes his own init
routines & scripts or continues using distro stuff it totally up to
the user.

If you initialize /dev/urandom yourself by making sure that the same
data is not reused again in crypto ops it's ok. Same applies to
/dev/random, which should be ok to use. If I need some pseudo-random
data I generate it on the spot.

To clarify things regarding loop-aes: It's ok to re-use pseudo-random
data to wipe some HDD. It's a totally different issue to re-use
pseudo-random data to do real encryption stuff; one shall not use the
very same gpg-key to encrypt more than one partition, either. Simply
put: If in doubt, just create one more chunk of pseudo-random data;
this never is a bad idea, and it doesn't hurt to have used an
additional gpg-key if it comes to system compromise.