Re: Two keys for the same encrypted file

Hi

Yes, this is a solution.
But my problem is to give a time-limit access at some files backed loop with a key file distributed to specific allowed users. This acces must be time-limited (from 1 to 3 week by a specific date). No public or private key are available, there is only the gpg/pgp installation on the host (yes I use this file also on other o.s.).
Is my explanation clearly? :)

I guess the/a solution to this depends on the exact circumstances (see below)

I'd say the easiest 90-95% solution would be to NOT store the key on the target system, but to get it from a server under YOUR control (so you can be e.g. sure the clock is correct) everytime the filesystem is mounted.

I'd say the most secure way would be using a SSH-connection, if you generate a key-pair for EVERY target system you have a quite good secured link over which to transfer the key, you wouldn't even need a gpg secured key. At least it doesn't need to be a gpg key while transfered over the SSH-link to the target system.

In the easiest setup

ssh <...> <programm/script which outputs key> | mount -p0 ...

It would be quite secure against an external attacker with no access to the target system or the server, but someone with enough knowledge and access privileges on the target system would be no problem at all to save the key to a file using the above command and later on use it a will.

So i suggest you first think about against what attacks you have to "withstand", how resourceful a potential attacker is or may be, how much control you have over the target system, how much is the value of the information and how much is the cost or what are the risks when the time-limits are violated and last but not least much inevitable risk is acceptable(tm) as there is nothing like absolute security.

Bis denn

-