Re: HELP PLEASE - cannot log again on my computer

On 09/25/05 14:53, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> David Belohrad wrote:
>
>>I'm using gentoo with encrypted partitions on the disk. Yesterday I did
>>update of the machine with 'emerge --sync; emerge world'. After this
>>upgrade it's no longer possible to mount the encrypted disk partitions.
>
> [snip]
>
>>/dev/hda4  /home  auto  exec,user,loop,encryption=aes  0  0
>>/dev/hdb1  /data  auto  exec,user,loop,encryption=aes  0  0
>

> I'm not sure about this, but above 'encryption=aes' option looks like it was
> set up using mainline util-linux.
>
> For some brief period, mainline util-linux used loop key setup method that
> was not compatible with neither earlier nor later version of mainline
> util-linux. There is small possibility that your setup uses such
> incompatible version.
>

>>it's visible that the util-linux package is upgraded from 2.12q-r1 to
>>2.12q-r3. Unfortunately ebuild r1 is no mo accessible, so i'm not able
>>to load back exactly the version which was installed. Instead, i've
>>tested 2.12q and 2.12q-r2 with no success.
>

> Knowing what version of software was used to set it up, and having the
> sources available, would help a lot here.
>
> If you are using loop-AES version of mount, you can try these mount options
> in your /etc/fstab file:
>
> encryption=AES,phash=unhashed1      # loop-AES-v1.0c compatible
> encryption=AES128,phash=unhashed2   # weirdo-mainline util-linux compatible
> encryption=AES192,phash=unhashed2   # weirdo-mainline util-linux compatible
> encryption=AES256,phash=unhashed2   # mainline util-linux compatible
> encryption=AES128,phash=unhashed3   # binary key compatible
> encryption=AES192,phash=unhashed3   # binary key compatible
> encryption=AES256,phash=unhashed3   # binary key compatible
> encryption=AES128,phash=rmd160      # kerneli.org compatible
> encryption=AES192,phash=rmd160      # kerneli.org compatible
> encryption=AES256,phash=rmd160      # kerneli.org compatible

In addition to Jari's suggestions, I would think that the following would have
changed: util-linux. I know that the "stable" version does NOT have Jari's
losetup and mount patch and the "unstable" version does.

So ensure that you have the line:

sys-apps/util-linux ~x86

in /etc/portage/package.keywords

and then:

# emerge -av util-linux

and recompile. This will ensure that you have a compatible losetup to try
Jari's suggestions.

Also you need to ensure that you have a valid loop-aes compatible loop.ko
module loaded. If your sources pointed to by /usr/src/linux are the sources
used to compile your running kernel, the following will ensure you have the
latest loop module:

in /etc/portage/package.keywords add:

sys-fs/loop-aes ~x86

and then

# emerge -av loop-aes

which should compile and install version 3.0d of loop-aes if I recall right.

Ensure that the loop module loads at boot time by editing

/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

and adding "loop" without the double quotes on an empty line.

Then reboot and try Jari's suggestions.

Having the correct entries in the /etc/portage.keywords file will ensure that
the next time util-linux is updated by a world upgrade you get the loop-aes
compatible version.

Best regards,

- ---Venkat.

- --
Buy Gold: https://rayservers.com/new/gold http://1179726.e-gold.com/

Tel:+1-607-546-7300 Fax:+1-607-546-7387 Skype: rayservers

PGP/GPG Key: https://rayservers.com/keys/0x12430522.asc

-