Re: HELP PLEASE - cannot log again on my computer

David Belohrad wrote:
> I'm using gentoo with encrypted partitions on the disk. Yesterday I did
> update of the machine with 'emerge --sync; emerge world'. After this
> upgrade it's no longer possible to mount the encrypted disk partitions.
[snip]
> /dev/hda4  /home  auto  exec,user,loop,encryption=aes  0  0
> /dev/hdb1  /data  auto  exec,user,loop,encryption=aes  0  0

I'm not sure about this, but above 'encryption=aes' option looks like it was
set up using mainline util-linux.

For some brief period, mainline util-linux used loop key setup method that
was not compatible with neither earlier nor later version of mainline
util-linux. There is small possibility that your setup uses such
incompatible version.

> it's visible that the util-linux package is upgraded from 2.12q-r1 to
> 2.12q-r3. Unfortunately ebuild r1 is no mo accessible, so i'm not able
> to load back exactly the version which was installed. Instead, i've
> tested 2.12q and 2.12q-r2 with no success.

Knowing what version of software was used to set it up, and having the
sources available, would help a lot here.

If you are using loop-AES version of mount, you can try these mount options
in your /etc/fstab file:

encryption=AES,phash=unhashed1      # loop-AES-v1.0c compatible
encryption=AES128,phash=unhashed2   # weirdo-mainline util-linux compatible
encryption=AES192,phash=unhashed2   # weirdo-mainline util-linux compatible
encryption=AES256,phash=unhashed2   # mainline util-linux compatible
encryption=AES128,phash=unhashed3   # binary key compatible
encryption=AES192,phash=unhashed3   # binary key compatible
encryption=AES256,phash=unhashed3   # binary key compatible
encryption=AES128,phash=rmd160      # kerneli.org compatible
encryption=AES192,phash=rmd160      # kerneli.org compatible
encryption=AES256,phash=rmd160      # kerneli.org compatible

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-