Hard drive overheated, now can't get into loop-AES partitions...

Hi,

Have a hard drive failure/recovery problem.

I've been happily using loop-AES (AES-128)  with Mandrake 9.2 (now
10.1) since mid-2003.  Tonight my 3yr old hard drive either got too
hot or seems to be slowly dying.

Its crashed out several times and I've been dd'ing all my data off my
old drive onto a new drive with

$ dd  bs=512 if=/dev/hdb11 of=hdb11.dmg

However, after these crashes, both the drive itself and the image
refuse to mount the encrypted partition with

$ mount -o ext2 /dev/hdb11 /mnt/hdb11 -o encrypted,encryption=AES128,loop

It asks for my passphrase as usual however after I enter it gives:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loopX,
           or too many mounted file systems
           (could this be the IDE device.....

Has anyone seen this before and is there any method I can use to get
into to my data?  I'm reasonably sure the data is still there (most of
the data on unencrypted partitions is dd'ing over to the new hd just
fine), all my options are the same as usual, it just seems that the
partition header (or where ever the hash is stored) may have been
corrupted.

This is essentially my home directory so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Manning

-