Re: Partitions on loopback

Hi!

I just saw what your talking about.
Well, to say it in short: If you do what Jari wrote, you will get what you
were asking for:-)
I was begging for the same some weeks ago. Using loop-aes there remains no
partition table or boot code on the harddrive. You have to start the PC from
usb-stick or cd-rom then.
Just do what Jari wrote, use the offsets to losetup. And calculate properly!

> I was thinking in the lines of creating one big loopback device that
> could then be "partitioned" using the offset and size parameters.

With regard to this, consider what your PC looks like when you installed a
Linux distro like SuSE or else. You have partitions. You must have them
because all distros will force you to set up some. So my proposal is you get
loop-aes and do what´s in the Readme. Example 7.7 is for you! When you
succeeded to boot your pc from USB-Stick then you can go on and remove the
mbr.
Big fat Warning:
Before erasing mbr like this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
You have to *back up* the mbr to the usb-stick!!!!!!!
dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 >/media/usb/mbr.img
Removing mbr with partition table is extremely dangerous for all your data!
That´s why it is not mentioned in the loop-aes readme! Dont´ complain if you
loose the entire data in case you make a little mistake. The usb-stick is
all you have, there will be your partition table and your keys. Just in case
you want to upgrade to a new version of your distro (let´s say SuSE 9.3) you
will want your partition table back.
dd if=/mnt/mbr.img of=/dev/hda
will do that.
I have tested it for weeks. It works fine with AES256 as well. It´s only a
matter of PC perfomance. You might also think about several layers of
encryption. Two layers of 128 bit encryption should be safer than one layer
with 256 bit as you can combine twofish, blowfish and aes on one partition.

For the time now, I would suggest you get loop-aes and try to bring your PC
in the state of example 7.7. When you successfully started from usb-stick
then you backup and remove the mbr. Jari told you how to do so. If you want
I can answer some questions, too.

Regards,
Peter

--