Re: [SOLUTION!]Re: loop-AES-v3.0b: make tests error

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:38:07 +0100, markus reichelt <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >     Does you know the Debian policy about package maintainers? I don't
> > think so.
>
> I hope you didn't bet any money on that :-)
>
> in my opinion using a package system for security stuff decreases
> security. i think it best to build the stuff directly from official
> sources (note: i did not write latest official sources) - simply for
> the reason that one doesn't have to rely on additionally trusting
> others to some extend, even in times of gnupg and such. it's just an
> unnecessary step (to save time), and it does not increase security -
> so why take it in the first place?

  It's not about waste time having to rely on additionally trusting
others to some extend, since I never hear about a backdoor in some
debian package that wasn't in  the original sources (but ok, we can't
ignore this possibility..). So, if time is not a problem since it is
not the main care (and I agree about that), we can get the original
sources and the packed's unpackaged (extracted - dpkg -x
<package>.deb) sources (wow :), see if it differs and if not, keep the
packaged installed - so we can have a system with the aes-loop-utils
mount/losetup managed by the packaging management system and keep
informed all dependents packages about it. (Jari, this can be informed
to the paranoids in the aes-loop.readme too ?)

> but please keep in mind there are folks who prefer to do things the perl
> way ;) and i'm just one of them. if you look around there's plenty of
> different ways of running unix systems out there, all for a reason.
> best example with good docs would be LFS. that's not only something
> for ppl with too much time on their hands, one can build a pretty
> damn tight and secure system that way.

  Err.. no. I love reinvent the weel :), but when you have the
possibility to configure and keep all packages managed by a powerful
(yes, dpkg/apt is powerful) centralized package management system in a
wonderful way, with a very nice BTS, and other things, sometimes that
way of administrate a package is more than a 'time safe' option.

Btw, thanks for you reply

Best regards,
--
Rodrigo Ferreira Baroni