Re: AW: AW: Hello and DVD-ROM encryption

Venkat Manakkal <venkat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> info@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> | as losetup, so the ISO-image is looking similar. Although I
see the
> | difference in filesystem. I used ext2 and the readme uses
mkisofs.
> May that
> | be the key to success?
>
> Sounds like it. CDROMs use the iso9660 filesystem.

As we all know CDROMs use iso9660 fs. That wasn´t the question...
For encrypting CDROMs with loop-aes just do what´s in the
aespipe.readme. The example works fine.
My interest is rather encrypting DVDs. CDs are very tiny. So far
I used the aespipe example also for DVDs. It works but it has
some nasty probs. Due to the encryption the DVD drive sometimes
doesn´t find a medium. I had do re-insert the DVD disk. Other
probs can occur when there are 5000 or much more files in one
single folder. There is space enough for some 30 000 .jpgs on a
single DVD. Sometimes not all images can be read or the directory
properly browsed.
So far I have no idea from what theses ugly latches come from. It
might be a question of block size. Maybe it is because I used
cheap DVDs. All in all, aespipe *is* capable of creating
encrypted ISO images for DVDs. There fit 4.4GB on one disk. You
can either do the aespipe example and store the key on that disk
or modify the example and store the key on other media.
So far I don´t know if all the space should be used and what will
happen if a DVD is over-burned. I wouldn´t use ext2 or 3 on
CD/DVD. What should a journal be good for on a read-only medium?
Furthermore there would be the possibility to access those
encrypted disks also under Windows. For that someone has to
publish a driver for loop-aes under a Windows environment.
Btw. building encrypted containers and storing them on DVD isn´t
a good idea. You need to use udf for all files exceeding 2GB. The
examples from aespipe are definitely the right choice.

Regards,
Peter

--
Sparen beginnt mit GMX DSL: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl