Re: Cryptoloop difference between Gentoo and SuSE Kernel

Jari Ruusu wrote:

Richard Hall wrote:

I also compiled a custom Kernel without the loop device and compiled the
loop-aes loop device that I downloaded from sourceforge. Both gave the
same results of a sucessful execution of the losetup command but with an
unreadable ext2 FS.

[snip]

Any help or suggestions would be greatfully acepted.

If you are using losetup and mount from loop-AES package, you can specify mainline util-linux compatible key setup like this:

 losetup -e AES256 -H unhashed2 -p 0 /dev/loop0 /dev/sdb1 </etc/backup/aes.key

Or kerneli.org compatible key setup like this:

 losetup -e AES256 -H rmd160 -p 0 /dev/loop0 /dev/sdb1 </etc/backup/aes.key
                   ^^^^^^^^^

I finally got it working by downloading the util-linux and util-linux cryptoloop patch from the gentoo mirror, compiling it on the suse system and running it from the compiled directory. I don't know what the hell is done differently but something obviously is.

Thanks for your suggestions,   they put me on the right track.

Keep up the good work

Rich

-