Re: encrypted boot device (compact flash)

On Sat, 2004-09-18 02:33:57 +0200, nettie <nettie@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <414B8275.5080100@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm actively looking for a way to encrypt the data stored in the compact
> flash to preevent possible reverse engineering of the custom
> applications and also to preevent 3rd party modification and related
> services abusing.

:-)

Anything that can be moved into main memory (for execution) can be
exchanged, reverse engineered and, if needed, altered, too.

> The fisr problem I encounter is realted to the password storage,
> considering that the embedded device will not have keyboard, serial
> console and that it will be installed in an hostile/untrusted
> environment. If I store it in the compact flash someone will be able to
> read it and as said before the human input is not an option.

Correct. But as I said, that's pretty much a conceptual problem. ...and
to be honest: I for one prefer having control over the devices I use!

> The only non-crypto solution I found is redesign the whole bootstrapping
> architecture, build a light/intelligent that will boot download from our
> servers to ram the real kernel, a cramfs image containing the
> preconfigured applications and tools, pivot the root and kexec to the
> fresh downlaoded full featured kernel.

For sure, there'll be an easy way to intercept that. I think about
embedded device's debugging interface and the like.

Don't waste your time here. Just accept that you won't be able to make
that bullet-proof...

> I'm sorry for the non-crypto related informations of my last sentence
> but I wanted to make a clear picture of what I'm trying to achieve,
> maybe this could be useful for someone else working on a similar project.

Well, I don't think that it'll work at all, I think it's a bad idea and
I think that most open/free source developers won't really like to see
or support work-in-progress in that direction, with the possible
exception of detecting proprietary programs being started.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O