Re: TEMPEST

Markus Reichelt <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pavel Minev Penev <pavpen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > By the way are people here interested in TEMPEST, e.g.
> > http://bss.sfsu.edu/fischer/IR%20360/Readings/tempest.htm
>
> I am. Do you happen to know where I can find blueprints of the
> device mentioned on that site?

The documents mentioned in the eJournal article are

	NACSIM 5100A, a document which has been classified by the
	National Security Agency

Wim van Eck
	Electromagnetic Radiation from Video Display Units: An
	Eavesdropping Risk?
	"Computers & Security" journal, vol 4 (4) pp 269-286, published
	in 1985.

	The paper caused a panic in certain government circles and was
	immediately classified as is just about all TEMPEST information.

Also near the end of the article:

	I believe the media should be made aware of the problem in hope
	that publicity about potential TEMPEST attacks will force the
	government to release the information necessary to allow private
	citizens and industry the means to properly secure their
	proprietary data.

Which indicates that the standards, blue-prints and other information is
most probably still classified.  I believe US law requires that the van
Eck article be declassified by 2005 (20 years after classification).

Until then, you can develop your own version of a TEMPEST eavesdropping
device, because the basic idea is in the eJournal article.  If you know
basic electrodynamics, you would know that the magnetic induction
(field) intensity B is proportional to the current that generates it (in
this case --- the electon beam in the CRT).  Thus, you need a directed
antenna that tells you B as a function of time.  Then, a high-resolution
clock will help you tell where on the screan the electon beam was to
produce a pixel (knowing --- or finding by trial and error --- the
horizontal and vertical refresh rates, the dot clock time and a few
other temporal parameters).  Thus, you only need to convert B to color
intensity and use the clock to reconstruct the location of a pixel.
This is for a black-and-white screen or for a single color component of
an RGB screen.  You shold be able to figure out the rest on your own.

Alternatively, you could try contacting spyking at thecodex.com.

Anyway, the only way to security is to make sure society serves the
principles of the universe, and not financially powerful empires built
on empiricism,
--
Pav  http://www.larouchepub.com/eirtoc/2004/eirtoc_3125.html
  ,., http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Frankfurt_School&oldid=4862683