Plausible deniability, encrypted backups

Hello,

sorry for not writing earlier - finally root encryption is working great for me for around 2 weeks, and I owe you all a very big THANK YOU!

It wasn't easy but I (as a relative Linux newbie and with help from this mailing list) was able to conclude it.

Now I still look for plausible deniability. I have asked earlier but I don't remember reading a reply about the question if someone with access to the HD can tell if e.g. /dev/hda2 is an encrypted partition or simply partitioned disk space shredded with random data.

Also, for booting from CD-R, is there some bootloader which permits to hide and password protect the crypto-kernel's image entry and the image itself, including related files (e.g. the key file)?

Later, is there a way to avoid or change the "Encrypted file system: please enter your passphrase" prompt?

My other concern are backups. Is it possible to use loop-AES on DVD-RW media? Are there any typical problems with this idea?

What do you think about adding such topics to the loop-AES README, Jari?

Thanks,

Christian

-