Re: Problems with 2.6.8.1, loop-AES and ext3

David Gümbel wrote:
> On Monday 23 August 2004 19:37, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> > 2) what file system soft block sizes are you using
> How do I determine / check these? (When creating the filesystem, I don't
> think I specified it, i.e. I ran an "mke2fs -j /dev/loop0" after
> losetup-ing. But that was a long time ago ;)

tune2fs -l /dev/loop0

Any special mount options in /etc/fstab ?

Any non-default lo_prealloc= values in /etc/modprobe.conf ?

> OK, I've done some further testing: I now use 2.6.7 with loop-AES 2.1c (2.1b
> previously), just to see if the new version of loop-AES together with the
> old kernel made any difference. It doesn't, my machine is running all fine.

Thanks, that narrows problem to yet unidentified kernel change that causes
loop-AES code to misbehave.

> * it seems to appear faster when the system is under load, e.g I'm compiling
> stuff while working. As the partition affected is /home, on which the file
> system remains quiet when compiling (using "emerge")

My test load was on both encrypted and unencrypted file systems on same disk.

> * a pretty certain way to trigger it is to fire up my KMail and work with
> it. I have a 1.4 GB ~/Mail, with some pretty large folders, some in mbox
> (e.g. inbox, 86 MB or an archive of older inbox contents, ~350 MB)), some
> in maildir format. So maybe it's somehow linked to access to large files on
> encrypted ext3, and/or a larger number of open files.

OK, then I need to test huge directories with some 'syncing' application. I
installed kmail on my test box, but as of this writing ~/Mail dir has only
few zero length files.

Someone, possibly you, posting a script or clear "do this, that, and that"
instructions would be of great help. No errors on my testing so far.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-