Re: Encrypted swap, suspend, README, root encryption, potential weaknesses, NSA, dual-ciphers

Christian wrote:
> at item 12 and 13c in the loop-AES readme (boot from CD), from which
> directory do I run the script and lilo?

Step 12: run from loop-AES source directory.
Step 13c: any directory will do.

> >>And is it possible to suspend to disk with root encryption?
> > I don't recommend suspend when there are encryption keys in kernel RAM.
>
> Wouldn't the keys be encrypted when written to disk with suspend? Is it
> possible in theory to use suspend to disk without an unencrypted partition?

Some time ago I saw someone do suspend to encrypted partition, but problem
with that was the restore part that had to set up encrypted loop device to
restore from, which included mounting a file system. Kernel gurus said that
the mount thingy before restore-from-suspend caused some sort of
inconsistency between on-disk data and kernel page cache, or something like
that. IOW, don't do that.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-