Upgrading to a 2.6 Kernel on a Loop-AES Machine

I have a machine with an encrypted root filesystem on kernel 2.4.22 with
loop-AES-v1.7e and I want to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel (thinking 2.6.7 or
2.6.6 ). Since loop-AES-v2.1b has a kernel patch for 2.6.6 I was
thinking I should use that kernel, so where I am unsure is will I have
to make changes to the initrd.gz and all the modified binaries, or will
just the patched kernel work (it doesn't seem to).
I am just worried about making to many changes, and locking myself out
of my own laptop :) .  Recommendations?

-