Re: Loop-AES, security concerns, stability of file backed loop-aes

Thanks for the fast replies :)

> Scientifically? Unfortunately not. Loop-AES is only secure if it has
> been set up in multi-key mode with encrypted swap.

Yes, I already read this from the docs. If all these options are activated,
there is no attack possible (at least not yet known)?

I need the highest possible security, because the backup servers are not
trustworthy.

I also read some pages about a (very theoretical) attack of AES. Does
somebody have benchmarks for AES128, AES256 and other ciphers like twofish
etc? Are the performance differences between these ciphers even noticeable
on a P4 3 GHz running database services and Samba?

> OTOH, don't know about your setup... a different approach could be to
> split up your large data collection in smaller chunks (directorywise,
> f.e.) tar/bzip2 'em up and use gpg to encrypt the *.tar.bz2.
>
> Additionally you could use rar to create archives with recovery
> information, this comes in handy if network traffic somehow caused
> corrupted files. The big disadvantage with gpg is that even slightly
> corrupted encrypted files can't be decrypted. Therefore I use the
> 'protective layer' of rar archives. :)
>
> Then you could use rsync (over ssh) for backup. This method is quite
> messy (setup, maintenance, ressources), but works.

I thought about such a solution, too, but it simply doesnt work in my case.
See, my servers hold hunderts of gigabyte of data. If just 1 bit is changed,
gpg would create a different encryption stream from this on => the gpg file
is not rsyncable, so that each day my entire data would have to be
transferred. Creating a gpg archive for each directory or even for each file
would still be too inefficient, because I have very large database files
with a size of multiple gbs. They are really good rsyncable when not
encrypted. The aim would be to add real strong encryption and to keep the
efficiency of rsync.

Another question: how does loop-aes react on bad blocks?

-