Re: Make gpg-keyfile for already encrypted partition

>>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:29:05 -0700 (PDT), Thomas "Müller"
>>> <etwcn@xxxxxxxxx> said:

etwcn> [ ... ] I have partition that is encrypted with a single
etwcn> passphrase. For better security I would rather like to use a gpg
etwcn> keyfile, but I do not want to wipe the partition and make a
etwcn> completely new setup. Is it possible to put the passphrase in a
etwcn> gpg keyfile [ ... ]

To me it seems that, even if it depends on the kind of threat model you
are implicitly assuming, putting your passphrase into a GPG keyfile can
significantly reduce the ``security'' of your data, for some definition
of ``security'' that might matter practically.

I'd like to learn why you think that to remove the passphrase from your
memory and to "put the passphrase in a gpg keyfile" instead might
conceivably result in "better security".

Now, if you intend instead to create a new random private key, and use
that instead of the passphrase as the cipher key, and reencrypt your
partition, presumably you can use 'aespipe' twice do do that.

  Arguably switching from a passphrase to a random private key in a GPG
  file might slightly improve ``security'' whatever that is, in some
  vaguely plausible scenarios, even if I am a bit sceptical.

-