Re: Loop-AES vs. PPDD

>>> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:25:00 +0200, "newbie" <tacron@xxxxxxx> said:

tacron> hello, I'd like to know how Loop-AES (used with mulitkey mode,
tacron> key stored on external media, root directory encrypted and
tacron> booting from CD-ROM) and PPDD compare in terms of security.

The questions you ask sound like homework, of the ``For the crypto
course term paper, compare the following features of loop-AES, PPDD and
CGD, and deliver your essays by the end of this week''.

Part of the reason why I get this feeling is that the questions are
absurdly detailed, really don't make much sense, and several are
answered just by reading the relevant documentation: the sort of things
that are given as homework questions and some people are too lazy to
find the answers themselves, not the sort of questions one would ask out
of a genuine desire to understand the issues.

tacron> In the PPDD documentation, [ ... ] So, is the key actually
tacron> stored on disk?

The source to PPDDD seems to be available... Also, the article at

  http://Koeln.CCC.DE/archiv/drt/crypto/ppdd.Specification.txt

seems to me very clear whether the master key is stored on the disk, a
bit further down the part you quote.

tacron> Furthermore, PPDD seems to use 17 randomly generated keys,
tacron> Loop-AES uses 64 AES keys to encrypt/decrypt sectors.  Does this
tacron> automatically mean that Loop-AES is more secure concerning this
tacron> point?

"automatically mean" is a meaningless sequence of words. Perhaps that
should have been written "necessarily mean", but if so then it is still
pretty pointless because ``security'' is a matter of judgement, not
logical necessity.

Also, and more importantly, any question like "more secure" at this
level of detail is ridiculous without a detailed threat model and lots
of pretty formal work, or a team of professional cryptanalists checking
it out.

tacron> Both PPDD and Loop-AES(gpg) seem to use /dev/urandom or
tacron> /dev/random. Now, if I want to use another (CS)PRNG, I could use
tacron> it only with Loop-AES?

Given that the sources to both PPDD and loop-AES are open, you can
always modify either to use any random generator. As the sources are
open, it is also pretty easy to figure out that at least loop-AES (the
device driver) does not use any random number generator.

tacron> Loop-AES has the option for password seeding and key iteration
tacron> count to slow down dictionary attacks. Do you know whether PPDD
tacron> has a similar protection?

The source is indeed available, and also I think that the article
mentioned above has a very clear description of PPDD, and whether it
uses seeding at any point and for what (simple hint: search for the word
"seed" in that article).

tacron> I speculate that PPDD has no significant problems with using
tacron> Blowfish and the 64bit blocksize because this becomes only a
tacron> problem when encrypting every sector with a single key.

Good for you that you enjoy speculating about such matters.

tacron> PPDD uses this whitening process, to keep the IVs secret. Is
tacron> there any match in Loop-AES?

I suspect that the purpose of whitening in PPDD is not really about
keeping the IVs secret. As the article on PPDD says:

  «The data in the block is spread evenly throughout the block by a
   process known as whitening.»

Further on there is a clear description of how/whether whitening is
related to the IVs (of which there seem to be two sets...).

Doing a web search for "PPDD whitening" will return a link to a
discussion (in the archives of this mailing list...) of why ensuring
that "data in the block is spread evenly" might be useful. Oh well,
let's indulge your lazyness with this link:

  http://mail.NL.Linux.org/linux-crypto/2003-05/msg00079.html

tacron> Dowdeswell/Ioannidis remark that only their cgd uses a secure
tacron> key generation method (pkcs#5 pbkdf2) and the other approaches
tacron> (including loop-aes) use a simpler hash transform.

Does that really include loop-AES? In the CGD paper they say that their
method seems preferable because it uses salt and iterations. Have you
read the loop-AES documentation for any recent release of loop-AES?

tacron> How important is that drawback?

Is it a drawback? Compared to what? Under which threat model?

tacron> Maybe these questions are already redundant because PPDD seems
tacron> to be abandoned. Anyways, if some of you find the time I would
tacron> be thankful for any hint and things I missed here. [ ... ]

It would have been nice if you had found the time to read _carefully_
the paper that describes PPDD, the loop-AES documentation, and the
sources, and some web discussions about these subjects...

-