Re: Serial ATA HDD and AMD64 on SuSE9.0 Kernel 2.4.21 no /root encryption possible?

> One of the requirements of encrypting root partition using build-initrd.sh
> script from loop-AES package is that kernel must include built-in support
> for all devices and file systems required by /boot and root file systems.

I know that because this issue was mentioned in the AES Readme. But, on
installing Linux SuSE 9.0 the Setup detects my Serial ATA drive as SCSI
device and builds an initrd of about 300kb in size.
These files are in that initrd:
For SCSI:
- ata_via.o (the chipset is VT 8237 from Via KT800)
- libata.o
- scsi_mod.o
- sd_mod.o
Further, in case I choose the root fs to be ext3:
- ext3.o
- jbd.o

The last 2 ones can be spared if I only choose ext2 for the root filesystem.
Then I found 2 points in the Kernel Config of the SuSE 2.4.21 version to
build in scsi_mod.o and sd_mod.o. The problem is, I have no idea how to get
rid off libata.o and ata_via.o. Some points of the Kernel have no help text,
so I just guessed...
Maybe you can tell me what I have as options.
build-initrd.sh has the option to load modules (up to 5, right?) and the
option to load a "tools-disk". Maybe that could help?
I tried some things out but eigther the aes initrd comes up with an error
that modprobe couldn´t be executed from /sbin or the system fails to boot
when initializing the /lib directory when I boot normally. In any case,
loop-aes warns me that loop.o will not work with the current kernel, even if
I compiled it according to the readme.txt (apart from the SCSI Subsys!).

> You need to reconfigure and recompile your kernel and make sure that all
> required parts are directly linked to kernel and not built as modules.

So, do I really need to figure out the correct kernel submenues myself?
Can´t someone bail me out with a script that builds me a fitting initrd for
loop aes? How will things go on in 2 weeks when SuSE 9.1 and kernel 2.6
become available? Might that one have Serial ATA Support built in or will
the problem come up again?

Thanks for the quick answers and you attention to my probs.

Regards,
Peter

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL