RE: Maximum password length in single-key mode? And, FEATURE REQUEST: be able to use a single password in multi-key mode

Jari Ruusu wrote:
> Interactively typed passwords have a limit of 127 bytes. That 127 byte
limit
> comes from getpass() limit. If password is read from file descriptor
(losetup
> "-p 0" option), then it is limited by mlock()able RAM size only.

Interactively, 127 bytes - OK (don't want to use that one, I want to use the
"-p 0" option). How do I find out the limit of mlock()able RAM sizes?

If I could use a *very* long password, say 2048 - 8192 bytes. How is the
password used to encrypt the data? Does performance go down when I use a
long password compared to a short password?

> > If it is possible to have *very* long passwords (random data), then it
would
> > be nice to have the possiblity to split up the single-key password to be
> > used as the keys in the same way as the keys in the multi-key mode is
used.
> > For example: assume that you have a 2048 characters password. Split this
> > password in 64 equal sizes and you will have 64 different passwords each
> > with the length of 32 characters. Then, you should be able to use these
> > passwords in multi-key mode (if the loop-AES is patched to be able to
work
> > with this setup, of course...).
>
> That would break backwards compatibility.

Of course, you will need to use a new flag at the command line.

> May I suggest that you put gpg encrypted key file in /etc/foo.gpg and use
> that 2048 characters long passphrase to decrypt the key file.
>
> Or are you "no stinking gpg on my box" person?

I have not used gpg before, maybe I will use it later on. However, I think
it's bad to let loop-AES depend on gpg to make the security level higher
that the security level you could get with a password (a *very* long
password, as described above).

I have been using mcrypt to encrypt a key file (which is my *very* long
password). Then, I decrypt the key file before it is piped to the losetup
command. Like this:

# cat keyfile | mcrypt -d | losetup -p 0 -e aes256 /dev/loop1 /dev/sda1
# mount /dev/loop1 /mnt/vault

NOTE! The command line options for mcrypt is not complete.

-