Re: Maximum password length in single-key mode? And, FEATURE REQUEST: be able to use a single password in multi-key mode

debian@xxxxxxx wrote:
> The loop-AES.README file mention that the minimum password length in
> single-key mode is 20 characters.
>
> But, what is the maximum password length in single-key mode? Are there any
> other restrictions for the password?

Interactively typed passwords have a limit of 127 bytes. That 127 byte limit
comes from getpass() limit. If password is read from file descriptor (losetup
"-p 0" option), then it is limited by mlock()able RAM size only.

> If it is possible to have *very* long passwords (random data), then it would
> be nice to have the possiblity to split up the single-key password to be
> used as the keys in the same way as the keys in the multi-key mode is used.
> For example: assume that you have a 2048 characters password. Split this
> password in 64 equal sizes and you will have 64 different passwords each
> with the length of 32 characters. Then, you should be able to use these
> passwords in multi-key mode (if the loop-AES is patched to be able to work
> with this setup, of course...).

That would break backwards compatibility.

May I suggest that you put gpg encrypted key file in /etc/foo.gpg and use
that 2048 characters long passphrase to decrypt the key file.

Or are you "no stinking gpg on my box" person?

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-