cryptoloop vs. loop-aes vs. dm-crypt

Hi,

i have been using loop-aes for quite a while now as I am understanding
that it is more secure than cryptoloop. However, on the other hand, it
requires patching many files and is thus sometimes inconvenient,
especially for encrypted usb-sticks used on different computers.

Now I read that there is a successor to cryptoloop, namely dm-crypt,
using Linux 2.6's device mapper. If I understand correctly, dm-crypt
will be compatible to cryptoloop in case of device backed crypto file
systems. Now I wonder if the security enhancements of loop-aes will be
ported to dm-crypt.

What are the plans for the future? What are the differences between
loop-aes and dm-crypt?

TIA
 Sebastian

-