Re: crypto basics

I've found several books to be more than helpful and incredibly
interesting regarding crypology and the history of:

Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schenier - a classic, and must read

The Code Book by Simon Singh(sp?) - great info for an overview of the
history of crypto, and explanations of some algorithms

The Codebreakers by David Kahn - the original book on the history of
crypto(traditional crypto), i'm about 200 pages into it and it's
awesome, it explains ciphers very well

Crypto by Stephen Levy - the history of modern crypto, basically the
last 30 years, more in depth than the code book on recent crypto, very
little technical info, but still good

I forget where i got this link, but it was from a friend, it has a lot
of crypto examples, tutorials, and especiall source code:
http://crypto.radiusnet.net/archive/

Hope that helps, if nothing else the history books will give you a
better understanding of crypto through it's evolution over the
centuries.
Dave

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 09:28, Damian Gerow wrote:
> After following the brief discussion this morning about Blowfish,
Twofish,
> Serpent, and AES, I've realized that I don't know nearly what I had
hoped I
> did when it came to encryption.  Does anyone have a link (or a document
> they can post on the web) that points to the basics of encryption?  And
> don't mean like 'Encryption is when you take what you wrote (plaintext)
and

-