About loop device

Hello,everyone, where can I find some information about how to write a loop device driver? What is the principal of the loop device. I am not very clear about this. I want to do some operations to the data of the floppy disk. When read from the floppy disk I decrypt the data. When write to the floppy disk I encrypt the data.  I just don't know how to implement this.  I need a loop device? What is the main function of the loop deivce?

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

Michael