Re: encrypting the whole disk / all the data

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 09:49:32AM -0700, IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> Mr. Leininger:

> 	Now this idea has some merit! How would one make such a CD? For me, I would
> wish such a CD to have both a patched version of the Kernel as well as being
> inclusive of loop-aes code. Any ideas what the design specifications for
> such a disc would be?

> 	I have never made even an unencrypted bootable CD for Linux, but would love
> to know how to do so, for purposes of protecting my files and forcing an
> encrypted boot environment.

	There are several such projects including the LNX-BBC (Linux Bootable
Business Card) project which has several links to several others.  LNX-BBC
is an outgrowth of the LinuxCare Rescue BBC which still exists at LinuxCare.
There is also the Linux-PLAC (Portable Linux Auditing CD).

	http://www.lnx-bbc.org
	http://www.sourceforge.org/projects/cdbased
	http://innominate.org/~pape/rescueCD/
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
	http://open-projects.linuxcare.com/BBC
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/superrescue/
	http://sourceforge.net/projects/plac/

	And that's just a few examples...  All can be readily modified.

	Business Card sized and shaped CD-Rs can be had for about $.50 USD
each in quantities of 100 from a couple of media suppliers.  I bought a
stack of 100 (with sleaves) for $49.00 (plus way too much shipping) a couple
of months ago.  They hold about 50Meg uncompressed.  With the cloop,
compressed loopback file system, most of the BBCs have about 150 Meg of
software on them.

	My preference is to use a combination of one of the above BBCs,
modified for my encryption of choice, and then store the keys on a smart-card
or Smart-Media card and encrypt the whole damn drive.  Then you have to have
the boot CD plus the Smart-Media card plus any optional password to boot
the system up at all.  SmartCards and Smart-Media cards fit in a wallet
real nice and the BBC's fit in a shirt pocket.

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/