Re: big problems after 2.4.10

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 09:15:20AM -0700, beldridg@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> i recently upgraded to 2.4.10 and applied the new loop.c patches by
> herbert.
>
> when i mounted an encrypted filesystem, i got quite a suprise. files were
> owned by odd uids and some were _very_ large and one was even a character
> device. here are some examples of the directory listing (i've removed file
> [snip]
>
> any ideas before i revert to 2.4.9?

I would make a copy of it (the unmounted filesystem container) and try
fsck. Then I would try booting the old 2.4.9 again to find out if the
problem is in the filesystem or in the cryptoapi/loop drivers.

FWIW, I'm running 2.4.10 with a loop.o crafted from the old 2.4.6 patch.
I didn't use HVR's new patch; I just discarded the patch reject. I have
not yet tried any encrypted filesystem, but I am using the encryption of
swap (yes, against HVR's advice. :) So far no problems noted here.

I've been working toward the goal of encrypting my entire /home
partition, then maybe eventually going for the initrd and encrypting /.
But I had some problems reading some filesystems created with 2.4.9 and
cryptoapi both with and without IV_MODE_SECTOR, so I'm not brave enough
to proceed yet. :) (This was when still using 2.4.9.)

    Rob - /dev/rob0