International Crypto Standalone - can't install

I am trying to install Herbert Riedel's International Crypto Standalone
cryptoapi-2.4.7.0

I have Red Hat 7.1, I updated the kernel, the kernel source and the kernel
headers
with RPMs from Red Hat to 2.4.3-12. I did not recompile the kernel.

I installed (it looked succesful - how can I tell?) util-linux-2.11i patched
by
util-linux-2.11b.patch from the crypto package. An unencrypted loopback
filesystem works fine.

depmod fails for unresolved references, first for loads of things, then with
depmod -F /boot/System.map
for just loop_register_transfer and loop_unregister_transfer from loop.c

I don't understand why I need to specify /boot/System.map, and I have no
idea why stuff from loop.c would be missing.

I appreciate that the problem is probably simple, but I have RTFM and I
can't
seem to find the problem, any ideas?