Re: cryptoapi RPM packages for Mandrake 8.1

Le Mercredi 26 Septembre 2001 22:59, Stuart Blake Tener a écrit :

> 	I understood all of what you said (prior to your saying it actually), I
> was just proposing that as a convenience to people installing it, that the
> RPM backup the binary file for the user as a precaution against the user
> forgetting to or improperly doing so.

Yes, it is surely a good idea.

The matter is that I'm not a RPM guru, and I don't know how to do it, and
couldn't find time to study it more in depth.

There are surely a number of things that could easily be improved in my RPMs,
especially in the "cryptoapi" ones that were made "quick and dirty" and built
from scratch.

The kernel RPMs and losetup / mount RPMs are very close (read: identical) in
their features to the original Mandrake ones, except for the addition of a
supplementary little patch.

I am anyway confident about the mount and losetup packages, that nobody
should actually need the backup of the previous binaries, even though it's
always better having it.

If some RPM knowledgeable folk out there wishes to help and wants to rework
on my RPM spec files to make them a little more polished, I would appreciate
it much.

I've built these RPMs myself because I know many people around me that are
okay to install a couple of RPMs even if they need to copy or move a couple
of files by hand, while they wouldn't dare to try and patch and recompile a
kernel or misc system utilities.

That's the purpose for which I built the RPMs: for helping out in such a
situation.
It's quite imperfect, but yet it works and I hope it can help.
But, due to the inherent complexity of setting up a loopback encrypted volume
with the current system, I think anyway that people that wouldn't feel
comfortable copying a couple of files should stay away from it ;-)))

Best regards.

--
michel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
OpenPGP DH/DSS ID 0x5C2BEE8F