Re: [PPDD] loop-AES-v1.4d file/swap crypto package

Greg Louis wrote:
> It would seem to make sense to ask the author of loop-AES directly for
> his comments.  Jari?
>
> On 20010920 (Thu) at 1114:48 +0200, Allan Latham wrote:
> > A quick look at this seems to show the following (pls confirm this anyone):
> >
> > 1. The whole of the data is encrypted with a single key

Correct.

> > 2. There is no mean to change the key

dd if=/dev/loop0 of=/dev/loop1

> > 3. CBC is used on 512 byte blocks

Correct.

> > 4. The key is derived directly from a password with a seed

User supplied password is hashed using SHA-256 and output of that hash is
used as encryption key.

> > I would be pleased if someone could just read the code and confirm point 4
> > above. If true this is a serious problem. It allows a dictionary attack in
> > reasonable time - and a twenty character pass phrase especially one using
> > plain language words is no protection against this.

A dictionary attack against PPDD should not be any different. One just has
to decrypt twice: once the master key and then some known plaintext using
decrypted "generated key". OTOH, I may be wrong here, I have't read PPDD
code at all.

This is really a FAQ. The loop driver in loop-AES _is_ your kernel's loop
driver with known bugs fixed and AES cipher pre-registered. It does
everything an unmodified loop driver would do.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@xxxxxxxxxx>