Re: announce; monolithic versions of the cryptoapi branch!

    Okay, I took a virgin 2.4.9 source tree and applied the 2.4.10pre4
patch to it. Then I applied the cryptoapi-2.4.10-pre4-xfs.diff patch to
that, and, after configuring (this time will all the crypto stuff in the
kernel rather than modules, and "yes" to all of them except DES), and
compiled, booted -- seems to work okay, except I find no mention of
crypto in /var/log/messages from the boot like there was before.  I also
installed util-linux-2.11i.
      Anyway, so, since obviously we don't have to modprobe cryptoloop,
I just try  "losetup -e blowfish (or twofish, or aes, or whatever)
/dev/loop0 /my file". For each of them, I get a "Unsupported encryption
type blowfish " or whatever I try to use.  Hmm. Doing a man losetup, I
see it still only lists the same 3 crappy old dinosaurs, so, what the
heck -- I try des, even tho I didn't even put that in as a module. That
gets accepted, then it asks for my password and I give it one, then it
says "Init (up to 16 hex digits):" and I'm not sure what to put in
there. What is this?
    But obviously something is not working -- why is des accepted and
nothing else? The FAQ says that I need a new losetup, but I've got the
latest one. To be sure, I go to RedHat and download their latest losetup
rpm which is 2.11b and install that -- same thing.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix