RE: no password prompt

Hello.

> I have compiled and run my linux-2.2.18 + crypto API . I've
> done all the
> setting as explained in the Linux Disk Encryption How-To. Well , it
> works  but I thinks there is something wrong because I am not prompted
> when mounting the /dev/loop0 . What is the problem here ?
>
> I 've done all .
>
> insmod loop.o
> insmod loop_fish2.o
> losetup -e twofish /dev/loop0  ~user/.crypto      ####  (+ password)
> mke2fs /dev/loop0
> mkdir  ~/crypto
> mount  -t ext2 /dev/loop0 ~user/crypto  ###( The /dev/loop0 could be
> mounted without password  )

You give the password to the system while executing the program losetup.
In this moment the loop-device an the file are connected. The cryptogaphic
system ist set up with the key and the encryption and decryptio can work.
The key ist stored in the loop-device.
you do not have to put the password in again.
So do not leave the file and the loop-device connected, while not working
with it. Everybody with the rights (at least root) can access your secrect
information in den file.

I hope this hels.

Bye
Marten

Dipl.-Ing. Marten KARL  | EADS Deutschland GmbH
Tel:   D-731-392-4816   | EADS/LFK
Fax:   D-731-392-3097   | Manager IT Ulm
EFax:  D-731-392-204816 | Woerthstrasse 85
Mobil: D-175-3635862    | D-89077 Ulm
Achtung, geaenderte E-MAIL-Adresse:
      mailto:marten.karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx