RE: Using Crypto under LM8+2.4.6

On 07 Jul 2001 19:57:09 -0700, IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> Mr. Warner:
>
> 	I since turned on every menue option in the "menuconfig" relative to crypto
> (mind you all in "M" or module selected mode), still the same problem. What
> could I try next?

Stuart, I've never had any problems (but I've never created modules
either). This is the best kernel compile advice I can give:

In Crypto options:
Select Crypto support
Select Crypto ciphers
Select ciphers of choice
Might as well also select the SHA-1 digest algorithm.

In Block Devices (I suspect you missed this):
Select Loopback device support
Select Loopback encryption support

If it still doesn't work then I'm lost for advice.

> 	I am sorry, I must have been unclear in order to solicit the response you
> sent. What I was referring to was integrating the crypto package into the
> passwd program. Currently password stored in /etc/passwd are stored using
> Unix cryptographic methods. I would rather use AES for example to encrypt
> the passwords (login passwords, I mean) in the /etc/passwd. What I meant was
> to leverage strong encryption where weak encryption is used right now to
> encrypt password (as is done normally) in the /etc/passwd file.

My understanding is MD5 password hashes can already be used. That's
pretty strong. Plus with shadow passwords even the encrypted passwords
aren't displayed in /etc/passwd (just an "x"). In other words there is
no longer any problem to solve nor any encryption necessary in
/etc/passwd. /etc/shadow can only be read by root.

I'm not sure how long it would take to crack an MD5 password but it
wouldn't be pretty. But you'd need root privileges to even see them!

Regards,
Adam