Re: Announce loop-AES-v1.3b file crypto package

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 04:33:46PM -0700, IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> Dear list members:
>
>         I must admit I find a great deal of this entire thread to be rather
> entertaining. Unless I am mistaken, I watched two people just spend several
> emails arguing over typing five characters at one point. How it is possible
> you can have the time to care about cryptography to the extent to install
> and use it, but not have the time to care to remember or type an additional
> 5 characters, when its YOUR OWN DATA you are protecting, is far beyond the
> scope of my comprehension.
>
>         What is wrong with English sentences when mixed random words?
>
>         Example: "The telephone is a useful invention! Grapes!" <- this is
> easy to remember, and it has 44 characters. I am curious if anyone has
> written a script or C program to translate English text into
> English/numerical text (hello to h3ll0).

I couldn't agree more.

However, your example is an extremely good example of what not to do.

It's 45 characters long. The first 36 are definately "normal english
text" - let's assign them 2 bits each (72 bits).

The rest is harder - let's pretend it's worth 3 bits each (24 bits). So that's
a total of 96 bits protecting your key...

Now, in reality it's easier than this - after all, an attacker can
try letters & punctuation first, and you even obey normal capital placing
rules, so that simplifies things.

It's not a good passphrase. A random 10 character one might well be better!

I think my general complaint is that people's intuition about what makes
a good passphrase is bad :)

	Stephen

--
Stephen Norris	  srn@xxxxxxxxx