Re: Announce loop-AES-v1.3b file crypto package

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 05:43:28PM +1000, Stephen Robert Norris wrote:

> > > well, im usually using passwords like "4wj8s06bj2" or "7e1t91436g", not any
> > > english or whatever words!!
> > > so if i would have to learn a 20 byte password in that format it would be
> > > like "v1872cqad730lbsq53i8" or "0v7g25y0mp49n26yrntb" and learning that isnt
> > > easy, is it? ;)
> >
> > 	But that still doesn't buy you as much entropy as using a
> > longer passphrase that is mnemonic and easier to remember.  Even if
> > you ASSUME that you can use totally random characters, that only
> > approaches 7 bits per character (but can never reach it) and is
> > still less than the strength of a well formed 20 character mnemonic
> > pass phrase that's easier to remember.

> Is this really true? According to Shnier's book, English text has
> about 1.5 bits of entropy/letter - a random password has about 6,
> so your passphrase will have to be a good deal longer, even with mis-spelt
> words...

	Read carefully what I said.  I said that "even if you ASSUME
that you can use totally random characters, that only approaches
7 bits".  That means that it never reaches it.  If you disallow all
control characters, you lose another "1/2 bit" and a little white
space, a few fragments more.  If you were to ASSUME totally random
printing characters, then you end up with something slightly less
96 characters (95) which is about half way between 6 bits and 7 bits.
You CAN (in some cases) use control characters in passphrases but not
in all cases (^A, ^B - probably, ^S, ^Q - I think not :-) ), so that
only helps a little and gets you a little closer (approaches) to 7.
The real point is that it's a BAD ASSUMPTION and you can never really
reach 7 bits, so 6 is more realistic (and is why that's what I used
in my first message).

> Mind you, I always use pass phrases when I can - but I whack in random
> digits & punctuation to keep it interesting...

	Second part of the statement "is still less than the strength
of a 20 character mnemonic pass phrase" you have to go back to my
earlier message.  I also said to use misspelling and odd numbers and
punctuation, so that's not "English text".  So it sounds like we are
in strong agreement here.  So what's the "Is this really true" question?

> 	Stephen
> --
> Stephen Norris	  srn@xxxxxxxxx
> Farrow Norris Pty Ltd	+61 417 243 239