Re: Announce loop-AES-v1.3b file crypto package

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:03:32PM -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > > No, 10 byte passwords are NOT enough.  Given that they are
> > > printable ascii characters and subject to a variety of other entropy
> > > reducing issues, a password "byte" is probably only worth about 6
> > > bits of entropy, maybe (probably) less.  That gives you only about
> > > 60 bits of strength against brute force.  Not enough...
>
> > > Rule of thumb...  (although all "rules of thumb are bad since
> > > they lead to guessible patterns.)  Pass WORD is bad.  Pass PHRASE is
> > > better.  Make it several words with number substitutions and odd
> > > punctuation.  Make at LEAST one word misspelled, especially if the
> > > mispelling is one of the numbers.  (Example: Wizard -> W122@xx!).
> > > The sillier (or obnoxious, or obscene) the better (easier to remember,
> > > harder to guess).  Basic mnemonics.  You won't forget and
> > > 1t_wi11-b3=@xxxxxxx)H! t0 gu3ss..!  (it will be a bitch to guess) :-)
>
> > well, im usually using passwords like "4wj8s06bj2" or "7e1t91436g", not any
> > english or whatever words!!
> > so if i would have to learn a 20 byte password in that format it would be
> > like "v1872cqad730lbsq53i8" or "0v7g25y0mp49n26yrntb" and learning that isnt
> > easy, is it? ;)
>
> 	But that still doesn't buy you as much entropy as using a
> longer passphrase that is mnemonic and easier to remember.  Even if
> you ASSUME that you can use totally random characters, that only
> approaches 7 bits per character (but can never reach it) and is
> still less than the strength of a well formed 20 character mnemonic
> pass phrase that's easier to remember.

Is this really true? According to Shnier's book, English text has
about 1.5 bits of entropy/letter - a random password has about 6,
so your passphrase will have to be a good deal longer, even with mis-spelt
words...

Mind you, I always use pass phrases when I can - but I whack in random
digits & punctuation to keep it interesting...

	Stephen
--
Stephen Norris	  srn@xxxxxxxxx
Farrow Norris Pty Ltd	+61 417 243 239