Re: linux-ipsec: freeswan .... using OpenSSL ?

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Michael T. Babcock wrote:

> > Marc has told what things that is found in kerneli. Now Freeswan/ipsec
> > uses Eric Young's libdes, which both has a fast C implementation and
> > a fast x86 implementation. Unfortunatly it is specially stated in the
> > library source that the code is not GPL, and cannot be changed to GPL
> > either.
> >
> > <quote>
> > this code cannot simply be copied and put under another distrubution
> > license [including the GNU Public License.]
> > </quote>
> >
> > AFAIK, this means that the code cannot simply be put into the crypto-
> > API without permission. Do you think it's possible to get the
> > necessary permission to insert the the libdes 3DES implementation into
> > the kernel.
>
> In those cases, its often smart to offer the compiling user the option of
> linking against it and creating your own library to do it thats slower as
> well.  ./configure --with-lib3des ... they'll have to acquire lib3des on
> their own.  This is done with lots of other large packages.

The code wil be put inside the kernel, and 3DES is already there.
The point is to get a faster version in. I don't think the idea relying
on people puting there own libraries into the kernel is a particularly
good idea.

The best idea would probably be to ask Eric Young for permission for
insering the relevant parts of his library into the linux crypto API.
Does anyone have his email adress, or know what he thinks about
such usage. (other than the licence text)

--
Gisle Sælensminde ( gisle@xxxxxxxxx )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)