Re: loop-AES with kernel 2.4.20 (under Debian)

Am Sam, 2003-06-14 um 18.27 schrieb Jari Ruusu:
> Last time I checked, debian included util-linux patch from kerneli.org. That
> should work with loop-AES, but if you care about security, I recommend that
> you set up seeded+iterated password.

If I understood correctly, seeds are used to prevent dictionary attacks
with precomputed password hashes.

However, if somebody finds the correct seed, he could again calculate
the hashes on a different, very fast computer, couldn't he?

So how long does it take to calculate - let's say - one billion hashes?

Do I really gain significant security improvement in using seeds?

Sebastian
-