Re: loop-AES vs cryptoloop

"Stian B. Barmen" wrote:
> I cannot seem to find any information on which is better. All I want is a
> good AES encrypt of my HD with at little overhead as possible.

loop-AES automatically uses optimized assembler implementation of AES cipher
on modern x86 boxes, and it is about twice as fast as the C implementation
in cryptoapi+cryptoloop.

> losetup -e aes256 /dev/loop1 /dev/hdb1
> password: passwordhere
>
> dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/loop1 bs=64k conv=notrun
>
> I am not sure what the dd does, but it seems to do the encryption of the
> filesystem. Is this correct?

Yes it is correct, but you may want to use seeded password for better
security.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@xxxxxxxxxx>

-